When you’re creating a slim block design it is necessary to attain the optimum portion of client ‘desires’ as possible. In this Swanbourne house we had a real difficulty put forward as the residence got on 2 corners with just one common boundary to a neighbouring residence under construction. We considered all the elements during the client layout quick to offer us the most effective chance to obtain the home style right.
This was a brand-new neighborhood as well as while the majority of blocks were vacant, the (just) adjacent neighbor had currently begun design on their residence which disclosed they were building a large boundary parapet wall 2 stories high as well as prolonging back a long way along the border. This offered us an opportunity to develop a layout that snuggled into the block benefiting from the parapet wall surface area as opposed to making that limit wall an unsightly view.
- Overall building budget including site costs under $400,000 (excludes pool and finishing costs like carpets, main floor coverings etc…)
- Views to the front of the home (aerial shot using NearMap)
- Block is elevated from front street level with limestone retaining and steps leading up to proposed front entry/decking area
- Elevation Style; Client likes more modern elevation/style than contemporary or traditional. Would prefer flat roof if budget allows, if not pitched roof is OK.
- Also, the home should incorporate some splashes of nice bright colours both inside and out – not all neutrals or white. IE: A red entry door would be nice as a colour statement.
- Green Smart – Where possible get as good a rating without over the top costs. May be difficult with the pool on the western side – will need some cover solutions for any larger windows looking over the pool.
Grey water ready, solar panels ready
- Definitely no void areas to the first floor!
- Cost efficient design where possible.
- Neighbouring home has a large parapet boundary wall (refer above image)
- 31c ceiling heights
- Bed 1 – 3.5×3.5 minimum with large 2.5×2.0m WIR or with robe area behind bed head wall
- Ensuite off Bed 1 – large shower area and double vanity (no bath required)
- Powder Room with access from Ensuite and main areas
- Open plan living areas – Kitchen/Meals/Family. Living areas to front of house with Alfresco and deck area. Incorporate a fireplace to the open plan living – will consider this if it comes within budget.
- Theatre or second ground floor living area NOT required.
- Sliding doors between Family/Alfresco
- Swimming pool to the western side of the block (minimum internal dimensions are 3.5×5.5). Note: There is retaining on the western boundary so survey is required to see extent of backfill behind retaining which may increase pool offset. Discuss after survey received.
- Study/Bedroom for guest. Note; no ensuite or bathroom required.
- Laundry area – functional but doesn’t have to be huge. Better to have additional storage space than bench space.
- Desk nooks to Living/Kitchen – enough room for 2 x PC’s. Note: can be 2 separate nooks if design allows.
- Double garage with storage area 3.0×2.0
- Trampoline area required with grass underneath.
- Covered portico which may be incorporated with the alfresco/decking area
- Storage area under stairwell stairs for cellar (not sunken)
- Internal Balustrade to be brick with MDF capping
- External Balustrade to be powdercoated aluminium with glass infill panels.
- 30c ceiling heights
- 2 bedrooms with double door robes. Min size 3.0×3.0
- Activity area at least 5.0×4.0
- Balcony to front elevation off Activity area at least 4.0×4.0. This will be used to entertain guests on occasions and needs to be big enough for sitting area/small BBQ area (note; will be free standing BBQ, not built in).
- Bathroom with 1650 bath, single vanity and std shower
- Separate WC (NOT powder room)
- First floor linen to be at least 3.0×2.0 for storage.
Client currently has 3 good storage/linen areas (2.0×3.0) and would like similar in new design.
We were pretty pleased with the means the initial idea integrated when we provided the concept to the customers, they enjoyed it! Unfortunately, after some consideration they chose that the house was too big as it coincided dimension as their existing house and also they actually desired a smaller sized the home of reduce cleansing time as well as clutter (or filling with scrap simply since they had the space– as they put it).
So we sat down and went over some other alternatives as well as ways we could change the residence design to actually accomplish just what they were trying to find.
When we offered the changed strategy to the customers, BINGO– we would certainly done it. It addressed their major issue of total residence dimension as well as we also brought the study/office downstairs making the transfer of books and so on. from the garage to the home office much easier.
The home catches the vital sights to the front with the primary living areas all having sights both upstairs as well as down. The swimming pool is a central attribute of the home and also can be seen from a lot of areas. We’ve achieved wonderful cross air flow for solar passive layout in addition to shielding the western altitudes with screening and cover.
The front design of the home likewise creates a cube result which the client enjoyed. We minimised costs with canti-levering the projections by adding piers below and also setting them back somewhat as well as recommended making use of darker colours making the white cube much more obvious.
More important than anything we accomplished, the clients are absolutely rapt with the custom-made home layout as it satisfies their style quick completely.
So how did we go with the structure budget I hear you ask? Well the building costs were truly affordable and also actually fairly enclose rate compared with some of our various other works. The rates sent were $361,642, $386,780 and also $382,255.